Monday, November 18, 2013

Mystery Meat, Heartbreak and a Miracle


Question of the week. How do you know when you are in a good dinner appointment? You ask the person what kind of meat you're eating, and he replies with, "No idea". And that is how we ended up eating cow liver... not the best thing I've ever eaten. That pretty much describes the week we've had though.

On Saturday our baptismal date told us he's not going to be baptized because since he made the decision to be baptized he feels like there have only been negative signs in his life. We tried to explain what was going on but nothing was really working. He still came to church, and took his baptism invitations-not sure what's he's going to do with those though. But anyway, it broke our hearts when he told us, because we thought for sure this time he was going to do it, because he already lives the commandments, he hasn't had to make any changes to his life really to be living the gospel. I'm not sure how to describe what it felt like for us to realize he wasn't going to be baptized, but Sister Rosenlof and I shed a lot of tears. I can't imagine what Heavenly Father feels when we turn away from him, because only have a fraction of the love he has for this man, and it was still overwhelming. So yeah. But Sister Rosenlof and I decided we were going to keep going forward in faith and pray for and expect a miracle. (I sign my letters each week,  Pray for and Expect Miracles.)

So, on Sunday, he comes to church and he's like, not able to walk. Apparently he injured his foot and leg the night before, but still decided to come to church anyway. So we taught him during the Sunday school hour and afterwards, we asked if he would like a blessing for his leg. He believes in the Priesthood, so he said yes. So the Elders came in and explained what was going to happen and then gave him a blessing. What happened next is the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. He got up out of the chair with a confused look on his face, and began to walk around with out problem! Sister Rosenlof, Elder Peterson, and I all stared at each other in amazement, meanwhile the other Elder, Elder Sanderson, ignored what was happening and said, I need to check the book to make sure we did that correctly. Ha. He's the district leader so I guess he has to worry about things like that. Anyway then our investigator asked a whole bunch of  questions about the power of God and everything. So that's a miracle for you. A healing, it was incredible to see. 

Besides that, it's been a pretty boring week. We just taught some lessons and did the normal things. We did do a service project with the Elders at this family's house, and afterwards, they had us burn all the wood and cardboard from their house remodel. Not sure about you, but I wouldn't exactly trust the missionaries to start a bonfire in my backyard. Especially because some people (the elders) decided it was a genius idea to throw all the cardboard on the fire at once, on a windy day. So, the cardboard would light fire and then start to  blow around the yard. Mhmm. It's pretty lucky nothing else caught on fire.

Yesterday was the primary program at church. It was actually adorable, considering it didn't take the whole sacrament because there were only 4 kids. We work a lot with a recent convert who is super awesome, but sometimes she feels left out of things because she wasn't grown up in the church so she doesn't have a knowledge of the things most people think every one knows. So I noticed during the primary program that she was confused looking because she had never had primary, so she didn't know the songs. So last night we spent the evening with her and taught her all of the most popular primary songs, with the actions, for things like popcorn popping, and once there was a snowman. Then her nonmember sister came home, so we sang the songs with her too. It was a lot of fun. So we've decided in addition to our regular meetings with her, we are going to start teaching her Mormon culture things too. Fun! I like this recent convert a lot, she is just incredible, and she's a YSA which the branch really needs. Anyway we've been working with her lot, and she's started calling us her "two mommies" because she's not exactly close with her family besides the sister she lives with. The other day she even asked if I could teach her how to do her makeup. We also do fun things with her on p-day. Like today she's supposed to go shopping with us. 

We met again with the Russian lady, and we are almost done learning all the sounds and letters of the alphabet. Sister Rosenlof and I are actually picking it up pretty well, but we still laugh have a good time with the lady, and she enjoys us spending time with her. I think it's good, because it's giving her a purpose, which is something everyone needs in their life. 

So that's pretty much it. Oh, I also got my medication this week. Thank you! Hopefully all is well, and you guys enjoyed your trip.

Have a great week.
Love you.
Karoline

No comments:

Post a Comment