Monday, December 9, 2013

It's Cold. And Hail Hurts. And It's Hard when You don't Have People to Teach.

We had our first snow here this week. It didn't stick around, because it doesn't do that here, but it was still annoying enough to cause us problems biking. Then we got more hail. After that, the temperatures dropped and we weren't expecting it, and we got stuck outside in the storm without layers on. We went back to the apartment that night in tears because it hurt so bad. You forget how much it hurts to have your fingers and your toes frozen. That day we knocked so many doors, oh  my goodness. Our teeth were chattering while we were talking to these people. Funny. Pretty sure I'm going to die this winter.
We didn't really do anything exciting this week. We spent the majority of our week finding. We only got one potential out of it. Hopefully things work out with that, because we are pretty much not teaching anyone, and it's freezing, and dark, and wet, so it's not too fun to be outside all day.
I went on my exchange in Assen this week with Sister H.  Nothing too exciting happened there. They're teaching a lot of people in Assen right now, so I was able to spend the majority of that day inside, keeping warm. :) One of the lessons I went to there was with an African guy, who says that he can read auras. That was fun.
Since Sister R decided she liked scaring me, I got her back this week. Yesterday we were walking to our dinner appointment, and the road is like totally dark, and in the middle of nowhere, just on the side of some guys farm. And Sister R is all scared because it's totally creepy outside and she's like Sister Western, I'm scared. And I''m like okay, just don't fall into the canals and you'll be good. So there we are, walking along, and she's freaking out, so I just scream really loudly all of a sudden. She jumps and sprints ahead of me, while screaming. It was hilarious.
Also, I've learned there is always immediate karma on a mission. Last p-day Sister R and I were in centrum shopping for some Christmas hats, we found them for 0.60 btw. Anyway, she was being weird, and I'm like sister R, you're like the most embarrassing person to shop with ever. And then we laughed. And then five seconds later I ran into a door. karma.
Other than that, nothing has really happened. Except that we are cold all the time, but I suppose that's going to be the norm for the next four-five months or so.
This past week, we received a referral for a lady who lives on one of the islands. Her daughter is studying in Texas, has  found the church, and is getting baptized so the mom wants to know what it's all about. Anyway to get to this island, we have to take a 40 minute train to the port, and then a two hour boat ride to get out there. We're pretty excited. Mainly because it's something new, and we get to take a ferry. that's fun. I expect it to be pretty cold though.
We have zone conference on Wednesday. So tomorrow we are spending the night in Haarlem, which is the city the Best two Years is set in. I wish we didn't have to over night it anywhere, it's always so annoying. For zone conference we are having that one guy from the 70 is the area president for europe come speak to us. They gave us a whole bunch of rules about it. Like, we have to wear super nice clothes, be over an hour early, and we can't wear any bright colors. Sometimes it feels like a mission is just an extension of high school. Especially with the people who just barely graduated and they haven't matured at all yet. Yeah.
I think that's all for this week, because I can't really think of anything else...
Have a great week.
Love you, miss yo

No comments:

Post a Comment