Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year's Eve, Great week, Transferring to...........................



So, I am getting transferred to Antwerpen,  (Antwerp) Belgium on Wednesday. Address:

(if you want to send her a card/letter please ask me for the address)

I am pretty excited to go to Belgium, and I kind of figured I was going there this transfer since President had hinted at it, but it is a little stressful, because everything is just different down there. It is another country after all. Also, fyi, I am going to have to pull out personal money a lot more often because how the transportation is paid for down there is different, but it gets reimbursed, but basically, the Belgian missionaries are simply always broke. fun! Sister Rigdon was just in Antwerpen, so I've seen all the pictures, and heard about the members, so it's nice to kind of know what I am getting into. It's also fun, because yet again, it's a different language. :) Hello Flemish. My companion is going to be Sister Aldous. She was in my MTC district, so that's nice.
 (Sis. Aldous knows my brother Darin's family.  She's Karoline's age, traveled a lot, knows several languages and they were great friends in the MTC.  )




 I am not so excited to actually do the act of transferring though, because it is such a hassle transferring down since you have to stop and pick up other missionaries on the way, and you have all your luggage and a bike, and Antwerpen is forever away, but that's okay; it's exciting.

 We actually had a really great week this week. The weather has been really actually been pretty warm. I personally believe it is because people are praying for warm weather for us. Also, global warming and what not, but prayers too. 

We had a great couple of lessons with our french speaking investigator this week. And she was in church yesterday. She loved it. I really think this girl is going to get baptized. She's excited when she talks about it. Plus she's just the sweetest little thing. 


Tuesday was possibly one of the longest days of the mission. We just went to district meeting in Groningen and then had to come straight home. People here are ridiculous with their fireworks. They spend hundreds and hundreds of euros on them. The fireworks start at about 730ish in the morning and then continue on all day. Which is stupid, like you can't even see them during the day. But it sounded like we were in a war zone. It was crazy. Then as the afternoon progressed, they start blowing things up. Like, bikes that are left out, garbage cans, pretty much anything they can. then it's just madness at midnight. Like everyone has fireworks. I took some videos and pictures, but they will never do the scene justice. it was also pretty cool because we are in a great location to see all of Leeuwarden, plus we are on almost the top floor of our building, so it was  just super cool. Crazy but cool. Yes, we did wax our legs. Hurts like no other. it was awful. but I'll probably do it again once it's warm enough to not wear tights.


On Thursday, we were looking up an investigator who we haven't been able to get a hold of, and as we are walking up, i see into this guys apartment, and in there are just Christian books all over the place, and like religious sayings and all that, and I''m like Sister rigdon, we are ringing this door. So we do, and The guy answers, and then laughs at us. Which you know, isn't a rare occurrence but whatever. But then he's like sorry, come in and I'll explain why I laughed. So we go in and he's like this is really weird I was just studying Mormonism. I've been looking into it for a theology class and i've been wondering for about a week is Mormon missionaries would ever knock my door. Is this all a coincidence? And we're like well... we had no idea you wanted to ask us questions so yes. He wasn't really interested in like learning about it, he just had theology questions. But he did tell us that we can come back. So that's nice. I think it's just cool to see how aware God is of our situations. He definitely knows us. 

We also went down to Den Haag this week, to pick up my Dutch residency card. I'm officially legal here. Yay. They're pretty cool looking, but I don't think you guys will ever get to see it, because the govt is making people turn them in when they leave now. 

At our Saturday dinner appointment, the member read our palms for us. And our eyes. Except he looked at me forever and then told me that he cant read my eyes because I was wearing contacts. Oh well. but the whole palm reading thing was really interesting. He started by telling me that I as going to stay here and never go home because I was getting married. And we're all like Uh, What? because it us, and the elders, and another member and then the member who cooked us dinner, so everyone just heard that. The elders thought it was hilarious. But then explained that I've already found my husband here, so this is going to be our place where our hearts stay and then we'll go home and get married. I personally thought i was super funny, but then sister rigdon asked me if I needed to talk about anything. No. It's just all fun and games getting your palms read. but then he came up in church to me yesterday and asked me if the guy I was in love with was Mormon, and to make sure to marry inside the church. Okay. 


Yesterday in church we sang with the Elders. Again. They ask us, or me, specifically to do something like every other week. It's a good thing I'm getting transferred, i'\m running out of songs. Oh, by the way. sister H. (MTC companion) coming here to Leeuwarden. That was a big surprise for everyone. We thought she was going to stay in Assen. 

Here, they do the traditional three kiss on the cheek thing a lot, which i don't like so much but I've gotten used to it. However, since I was leaving, one of the members just kept doing it and it was weird because shes more than a foot shorter than me. It hurt my back.




Also, I wouldn't send any packages to the Belgian address, because things are a lot riskier there, I would just send things to the mission office. We have zone training a couple weeks. Katelyn didn't tell me what her calling is so I still don't know about that.
I think that's everything for this week.
Love you, miss you.

Karoline



No comments:

Post a Comment