Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Regional Conference and Milk Skin



Personal note:  This week's email came in while I was flying somewhere over Michigan. I work for a great company and have an excellent inflight wi-fi product. We got to email chat for a few minutes.  I'm amazed at the technology that makes it so I can have a "conversation" with my daughter who is 5000 miles away while I'm at 38000 feet.  What a blessing! And,  happy news for her parents,  who served in Switzerland!


Well, this week was fun. We were officially dropped by our last investigator, which means we now have more than enough time to go finding! Yay! i'm glad I'm with Sister Packer right now, and that we get along really well and that we can come home and laugh about all the horrible things that happened that day. Otherwise it would be super easy to get disheartened and frustrated. Also, it has been super hot this week, and super humid. I think I choked on the air the other day. But, good news, we got a fan this week! So we can actually have a little bit of relief.

Something interesting I learned this week? Apparently it's a thing for Dutch people to call McDonalds "the Mac". We learned this when we went out to dinner there with our part-time missionary, part-time YSA in the branch this week. Which btw is super weird because half the week we call him Elder and the other half of the week we call him his first name. His family also fed us dinner 3 times this week. At least this branch likes the missionaries, it makes things a little easier. 
We didn't find anyone this week, but we tried, so that's okay. 

Yesterday we had a regional stake conference type of thing, and it was a broadcast from Switzerland. It was broadcasted to most places in Western Europe. Elder Anderson and President Uchtdorf spoke. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what they talked about, except for building up the church in Europe and always making sure you have a current temple recommend. It was hot and sticky in the church so I might have zoned out. Oh, and President Uchtdorf said there wasn't going to be a pulic announcement about it, but you might be interested in knowing that yesterday President Uchtdorf rededicated Switzerland as a place for the preaching and spreading of the gospel. So that's interesting. 

Well, that was pretty  much our week. Lots of sun and lots of rain. People keep asking Sister Packer and I when we will tan. They're like aren't you guys outside on bikes all day? And we're like yeah... and they're like so why don't you guys tan? And we're like uh, because we're white. See, Dutch people are super White, but somehow they can also get really tan. They don't understand that some people will just stay white. Then they tell me I have something that they call milkskin. Also, a member yesterday commented that I've gotten prettier since I came to Assen. Apparently when my cheeks get sunburnt it brings out the color of my eyes. Who would have known. I just said thank you, because I still know what to do when people make comments like that. It could always be worse though, they point out everytime Sister Packer gets a zit on her face. 

So, that was this past week. :) We have Zone conference this Saturday in Rotterdam, which is a nice three hour train ride away, so that will take up our Friday evening to travel there and then all of Saturday with the conference and traveling back up here, so that should be exciting.
Well, have a great week. Love you and miss you!
Love, Karoline

No comments:

Post a Comment