Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Status Quo Week, Zone Conference Weekend.



So this week was the same thing as pretty much always, except for zone conference. We contacting pretty much the whole day, every day. We got pretty sun burnt, but that's okay. It was a little frustrating, because we did not even get one potential out of the whole thing, but that's okay, because I know that Sister Packer and I are doing our part, so whatever. It's definitely getting old though. 

Friday night, we traveled down to sleep over in Dordrecht, and of course the world cup was going on. Oh my goodness, the place went crazy when everyone figured out that the Netherlands won. We did not get any sleep that night because people were out celebrating all night. Like, there were parades, and people just drive down the streets honking their horns. All night. Oh my gosh, I was ready to kill someone. I'm sure if you weren't an exhausted missionary it would be a lot more fun. In other cities people started blowing things up and lighting off illegal fireworks, but hey, when your country wins I guess it's a big deal.  But it was fun to see. Then on Saturday we went to Zone conference, and the streets were just littered with tons and tons of confetti. everything was orange. It was really interesting to see. 

Zone conference was pretty good. Elder Boom, the area 70 spoke. Mainly all the talks were about obedience and raising expectations and stuff. Then at the end, they broke us up into Elders and Sisters. And I was totally expecting a lecture about flirting. But no. We got a a talk about supporting the priesthood, and letting your husband figure things out and how to support him in leadership and such and then a talk on perfectionism by sister Robinson, and that was really good. There are some crazy perfectionist sisters out there. I'm glad I'm not one of them. :) but seriously, I think it was a really good speachy thing. 

No, there are no young women who would want to on a mini mission in this branch. This branch is small. Theres like 20 active people, on a good day. There are 2 young women, they are 12. There's one YSA, and he's on a part time mission. So... yeah. The rest of the people are either old, or young people with little kids. something that always surprises me about a new area is all the problems people have, and how they feel like the missionaries need to know every single detail of their life. Uh, we're not counselors. Don't call us asking for advice unless it's about missionary work. Don't call us to gossip about the other members. Sigh. The other day we were at a dinner appointment and a member is like so what's the most effective way to find people. I looked her straight in the eye and said member referrals. She didn't like that answer, haha. But, this is June, it's the month of invitation. The apostles and people over this area have told these members over and over that if they want the church to grow, they're going to have to invite their friends, and they encouraged everyone to invite one person to an activity or church or something during the month of June. June is almost over and only one person has done it. So that's super frustrating. And then, we're supposed to be helping everyone make mormon.org profiles, and showing them how to share things on facebook and such, and they just fight you every step, ugh! But it's okay. Everyone complains they don't have friends in the church. Oh my goodness, easiest solution? Invite your own friends. 

Also, at zone conference, I had the realization that I'm ending my mission soon because everyone suddenly wants to take picutres with you because they probably arent going to see you again before you go home. Well, okay. Good thing I looked good. :) haha. 

Assen is pronounced with the short A sound, like lost. Also, I just got a letter from Grammie. i think she sent it a while ago, but it was sent to my apartment in Belgium, and so I just got it last week, so I'll be writing her back soon, but I know she likes fast responses. 

So yeah, that's all I can really think of for this week.
Have a great week. Love you, miss you!

Love, Karoline

No comments:

Post a Comment